Hosting Org: Nassau Queens Performing Provider System
Date: March 11, 2020
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Location: Long Island Alzheimer’s and Dementia Center Boardroom, 1025 Old Country Road., Ste 115, Westbury, NY 11590
Event Link: Suicide Prevention and Post-vention
Suicide is a difficult topic to discuss. Often even experienced professionals hesitate, not knowing how to, and worried that being in this position requires advanced skills. Saving a life may require no more than a willingness to ask, and engage in a conversation.
Furthermore, if a suicide death occurs, anyone in the community can be profoundly impacted. A Suicide Postvention program increases the capacity of a community or organization to respond effectively to a suicide death in order to do two things: 1. Assist with grief and mourning to promote healing for survivors; and 2. To develop a model for education and prevention of future suicides.
- Maintaining suicide awareness
- Basic skills in how to bring up the topic of suicide and how to assess for risk
- Fundamentals of suicide prevention.
- Explore who the survivors of suicide are
- Understand impact of suicide
- Identify who is most affected and who might still be at risk
- Identify partners in the community who could collaborate on suicide prevention
Please visit NQP's website for more info.