Hosting Org: Suffolk Care Collaborative
Date: February 25, 2020
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: Crossroads Corporate Center, 1393 Veterans Memorial Highway, Hauppauge, NY 11788
Event Link: Cultural Competency and Health Literacy Master Training Program
The Communities we serve are growing in cultural and linguistic diversity. There is a need to inspire cultural change within organizations. The Cultural Competency and Health Literacy Master Training (TTT) Program will be an interactive program in which participants will have hands on learning experience to build better communities.
Attendees will learn to:
- The role social determinants of health have on population health outcomes
- The relationship between place and health on Long Island
- Unconscious bias
- How the National CLAS standards can help reduce health disparities
- How to apply cultural humility in community-serving organizations
- The components of health literacy
- The “Teach Back” method
- Utilization of health literacy strategies
- Lead Master training, organizational and staff trainings
The training curriculum was developed by Martine Hackett, PhD, MPH, National Center for Suburban Studies at Hofstra University.
Post-training, Master Trainers will receive a certificate of completion and the ability to host training sessions throughout the region. Master Trainers will be able to facilitate two different trainings: (1) 2 hour CCHL training sessions for workforce professionals and (2) 7.5 hour master training sessions for future master trainers.
SCC Community Engagement Team